Winter is Coming!!
Before & After
As the seasons change and winter quickly approaches frozen pipes are a major concern for many homeowners. The likelihood of a frozen pipe is dependent upon where the pipes are located in your home and how well they are insulated.
When water freezes in a pipe it expands. As frozen water expands the pipe will burst! This sometimes can cause serious damage to your home.
Here are some simple tips on how to prevent your pipes from freezing inside your home:
-Keep your thermostat set to the same temperature consistently day & night! Sometimes spending a little extra helps you save in the long run!
-Turn your sinks on! Running water through the pipe, just a small trickle will help keep water flow active & helps prevent the pipe from freezing.
-Open up your cabinets! This will allow warm air to circulate around all of your plumbing.
If your home has been damaged by water we have the expertise and equipment to quickly restore your property. Below are before and after images of a home that had significant damage due to a frozen pipe that burst in their attic causing all four floors of their home to experience terrible water damage. We at SERVPRO Long Beach/Oceanside arrived on the scene promptly & immediately provided service to this homeowner.
Make Sure Your Fire Extinguisher Is Up To Date
Fires are the most unpredictable disaster that can occur. Fires can start from malfunctioning outlets, faulty appliances, and even the slightest embers that were not fully put out. Think about it, how many different appliances are in your home/business? How many outlets to keep track of?
Most appliances, and outlets have safety surge protectors that don’t allow them to overheat. It’s always good to have backups and safety plans set for yourself, your family, and your employees in case an emergency occurs.
The specific fire safety equipment that is required for office buildings includes smoke detectors, sprinklers, fire alarms and extinguishers. While all of these items are necessary for fire safety and prevention, ensuring you have a fire extinguisher could be the most important. A fire extinguisher is the most direct way to stop a fire from spreading and causing more damage than it already has.
Be sure to check the link provided for the National Fire Protection Agency’s requirements on portable fire extinguishers.
Winter is approaching, beware of basement floods!
A basement entertainment room had a carpet ruined after a pipe behind the wall burst and water snuck underneath the wall.
At any point - and it usually feels like the worst - a disaster can occur. You flick on the basement lights and see the carpet glistening. Low and behold there is 2-3 inches of water covering your entire basement. The old couch you had in your first apartment, all the pictures of the kids that were stacked in cardboard boxes, and the custom knit hats from grandma, everything is ruined! There are a number of different ways that water can slip into your basement, such as;
- Surface water from heavy rains that can pool around your home
- Water supply-line break or hot-water tank
- Sanitary sewer backup
- Storm sewer backup
- Foundation drainage failure
- A sewer pipe that is blocked or cracked
- And many more
Basements are prone to flooding, and with the winter months approaching your pipes are in danger of bursting. If flood water is not handled in a timely manner not only will it cost you more money to fix, it will be dangerous to yourself and the people living with/around you. Don’t wait until the problem gets worse, call SERVPRO of Long Beach/Oceanside and keep your home safe!
Call us anytime 516-536-1801
Long Beach Farmers Market Ending Soon
If you like pickles be sure to check out Herman's Best Pickles!
As the weather starts to change so does Long Beach’s access to fresh produce and custom made goods! The Long Beach Farmer’s Market located at Kennedy Plaza, 1 West Chester Street, Long Beach NY runs from May 6th to November 18th every Saturday between 9am and 2pm.
At the farmer’s market you can find a plethora of vendors from The Subtle Tea Co., St. James Brewery, or even Gianni’s Chicken Burgers. For the full list of vendors be sure to visit their website below;
Make sure to visit and pick up your fresh produce and crafts before the Farmers Market leaves for the year!
FEMA Emergency Supply Checklist
A toilet inside a classroom accidentally left running overnight floods out multiple rooms and the connecting hallway.
At SERVPRO of Long Beach/Oceanside we like to make sure our customers are ready for any emergency situation they run into. Lately there have been many natural disasters such as the hurricanes in Texas and Florida. In case of an emergency here is the checklist FEMA suggests you keep handy in case of one of these catastrophic events;
- Water, one gallon of water per person per day for at least three days, for drinking and sanitation
- Local maps
- Fire Extinguisher
- Household chlorine bleach and medicine dropper – When diluted nine parts water to one part bleach, bleach can be used as a disinfectant. Or in an emergency, you can use it to treat water by using 16 drops of regular household liquid bleach per gallon of water. Do not use scented, color safe or bleaches with added cleaners.
- Flashlight and extra batteries
- Feminine supplies and personal hygiene items
- Whistle to signal for help
- Dust mask, to help filter contaminated air
- Wrench or pliers to turn off utilities
- First aid kit
- Can opener for food (if kit contains canned food)
- Prescription medications and glasses
- Infant formula and diapers
- Complete change of clothing including a long-sleeved shirt, long pants and sturdy shoes. Consider additional clothing if you live in a cold-weather climate.
- Important family documents such as copies of insurance policies, identification and bank account records in a waterproof, portable container
- Cash or traveler’s checks and change
- Emergency reference material such as a first aid book or information from ready.gov
- Sleeping bag or warm blanket for each person. Consider additional bedding if you live in a cold-weather climates
- Battery-powered or hand crank radio and a NOAA Weather Radio with tone alert and extra batteries for both
- Books, games, puzzles or other activities for children
- Food, at least a three-day supply of non-perishable food
- Matches in a waterproof container
- Mess kits, paper cups, plates and plastic utensils, paper towels
- Pet food and extra water for your pet
- Paper and pencil
SERVPRO of Long Beach/Oceanside Offers Free Service to Business Owners
An ERP is the best way to save your company money in case of emergency!
It is said that after a disaster more than 50% of business’ close down. That disaster can be anything from a fire/flood to natural disasters. It is important in case of one of these emergencies to have a protection plan in place to keep down time for your business as low as possible.
The service SERVPRO of Long Beach/Oceanside provides to local business owners is an Emergency Ready Profile (ERP). An ERP is meant to help minimize an interruption to your business such as flood/fire by having a clear and concise immediate action plan. The immediate action plan has the ability to save you money by setting up who to call and what to do in case of an emergency. By signing up for an ERP, fire and water damage are decreased due to starting mitigation sooner before more water/fire damage occurs.
If you’re ready to sign up for your business give SERVPRO of Long Beach/Oceanside a call @ 516-536-1801
Fire Damage Cleanup and Repair...Hire a Professional
An old power strip with too many appliances plugged in and no surge protector catches ablaze and sets fire to 2 rooms.
SERVPRO of Long Beach/Oceanside are your one stop shop for cleanup and repair of your fire damages caused to your home or business. We are available 24/7 and answer your call when you need us most.
Fast and efficient fire damage cleanup can make your worst catastrophe a thing of the past. No one expects or plans for a fire, but once it occurs it feels like a nightmare. Not only do the flames tear through anything they can touch, but the damage caused by the smoke, ash, and soot cause major damage as well. This is all before the fire department arrives and douses your home with water as well. Smoke, ash, soot, and water….all specialties of SERVPRO of Long Beach/Oceanside.
Professional fire damage repair will work quickly to get your home back up and running. The main reason you call a professional to clean up after this type of mess is because ash is acidic and will destroy materials if it sits for too long by deteriorating them. The smoke damage as well will cause an irritating smell and could be potentially harmful. The average scope for a fire damage includes;
-Setting up containment areas to avoid further damage from soot spreading around the home
-Bag up and clear out fire damaged materials
-Begin cleaning/wiping down all floors, walls, carpets, ceilings, furniture, countertops, etc. Anywhere the smoke could reach will need to be cleaned and that’s what we’re there for.
-Lastly we need to clean out the home’s HVAC system because the smoke will cause a harsh and irritating odor if not correctly cleaned.
After cleaning all ash, soot, and smoke damage the home will be free of any odors that will be irritating or harmful. Call SERVPRO of Long Beach/Oceanside for all your fire damage cleanup needs @ 516-536-1801.
What To Do After A Fire
House fire causes 2 story wall be burnt from top to bottom. SERVPRO of Long Beach/Oceanside to remove all burnt material. Next step is rebuild!
Here at SERVPRO of Long Beach/Oceanside we run into a few different types of emergency situations. Whether it be fire damages, water damages, mold cleanups, or document restoration the list goes on and on. Below we see ways to kickstart your home/business fire damage rebuild process.
Contact your insurance company;
The first step in the process is to contact your insurance company within 24 hours of the incident. Some insurance companies may be able to recommend a professional fire restoration company or you can call SERVPRO of Long Beach/Oceanside @ 516-536-1801 any time day or night.
The Restoration company determines damage;
Once the restoration company arrives there are multiple different services they provide. First they will provide services to prevent further damage occurring to your home. They do this by putting up containment areas - so smoke and soot do not travel around and effect more of the home - and they begin placing boards down to walk on so the floors don’t incur more damage from the company working. Next they help determine which of your personal belongings are able to be refurbished and which are not. After, they start to determine which structural items do and do not need to be replaced. All of these items are then built into an estimate which includes the cost of the deodorizing process, the repairing of your home, and the cost for cleaning any of your items. To make it as easy as possible the restoration company sends their estimates directly to the insurance company, leaving no extra work for you, the customer!
Things to remember after a fire:
-After the fire do not use ANY electrical appliances that were in or around the fire.
-Do not wash drapes or other materials that may require dry cleaning.
-The more you move around in the affected area the more soot will move around and affect parts of your home. Be sure to have a restoration company in right away to let you know what is, and what is not safe.
If a problem occurs, anytime, be sure to call SERVPRO of Long Beach/Oceanside for all your restoration needs @ 516-536-1801
The Timeline of Water Damage
A water damage from rainwater causes the floors of this business to flood all around their front desk!
It’s that time of year again for frozen bursting water pipes to cause flood and water emergencies. In our previous posts we’ve explained how to prevent a water damage from occurring, but in this post we’ll be explaining the water damage timeline. The water damage timeline shows how damage progresses with a water loss, and how waiting just a few days to act can greatly affect the amount of damage that occurs to your home.
Water Damage Timeline
Initial water damage
- Depending on where the damage occurred the water will spread directly to whatever is in its path
- Water is absorbed directly into sheetrock for the walls and ceiling. The carpeting, or even hardwood floors can have water seeping beneath it, and personal belongings are anywhere from slightly wet to soaked
- Furniture finishes may bleed, causing permanent staining on carpets.
Hours 1 - 24:
- Drywall begins to swell and break down.
- Metal surfaces begin to tarnish.
- Furniture begins to crack or bend (depending on furniture) and a musty odor starts to come out of furniture
- A musty odor appears.
- Coloring from cloth and paper goods spread and stain any surfaces that surround them
48 Hours to 1 Week:
- Mold and mildew are growing and spreading by this point
- Furniture warps and shows signs of mold.
- Paint begins to blister.
- Anything Wood such as floors, tables, cabinets are swelling and warping.
- Doors, windows, and studs swell and warp meaning they will now need to be replaced.
- Metal begins to rust and corrode.
More Than 1 Week:
- At this point a problem that could have been strictly sucking water out of carpets, or cutting away wet drywall is now far greater. Any moldy items and wet items will need to be replaced and are likely too far gone to restore
- Structural safety, mold growth, and biohazard contaminants pose serious risks to occupants.
About SERVPRO of Long Beach/Oceanside
SERVPRO of Long Beach/Oceanside are fully trained and certified in the cleanup and restoration of residential and commercial properties after fire, smoke or water damage. We are a 24/7 service that takes calls whenever your emergency occurs. From initial and ongoing training at SERVPRO’s corporate training facility to regular IICRC-industry certification, rest assured our staff is equipped with the knowledge to restore your property.
Tips for Preventing Water Damages to your Home
A flooded basement caused by a slow leaking washing machine hose
Whenever a water damage occurs in your home or business it affects everyone from the home/business owner, to the residents or customers that rely on the space. It could be something as minor as a refrigerator line popping off, or as large as a main water pipe breaking. Whether big or small these damages are a nuisance, and by following the steps below you will be on the right track to minimizing damages that may occur in the home;
- Make sure you and anyone who lives/works in your property is aware of where the shut off is for the main water supply. Stopping any further damage is step one in minimizing your costs for a disaster.
- Be sure to check all hoses, and pipes. During the winter it is imminent to shut off the water that leads outside, and to be sure that any pipes inside your home do not get too cold (to burst). The most common hoses that should be checked are the refrigerator, the dishwasher, and the washing machine. It is best to use stainless steel reinforced hoses if possible.
- Interior appliances and piping are not the only sources that water can come from, storms are a large cause of water losses that we see. The primary cause are shingles on the outside of your home, whether shingles be damaged or missing altogether it is best to check on them regularly to be safe. The biggest water losses we see occur when water runs from the top of the house (through the roof) all the way down to the basement, sometimes without the customer even knowing it’s happening!
The best way to avoid a water damage is to keep a keen eye on the above points. If by chance a water loss does occur in your home be sure to call SERVPRO of Long Beach/Oceanside ASAP. We get you back up and running as quickly as possible and are available 24/7!