A Storm Broke the Windows and Caused Flood Damage in My Property. Who Can Help Me to Restore it?
When storms damage your home, SERVPRO of Long Beach / Oceanside is available.
Reach Out to SERVPRO Technicians for Effective Storm Flood Damage Restoration in Long Beach
A storm can cause costly damage to a home, including wind damage, flood damage, and structural problems. If left unattended for an extended period, floodwater can cause mold growth, wood rot, and health hazards, among other issues to the residents. Seeking professional help from SERVPRO within 24 hours can prevent secondary damage in your Long Beach property.
What should I be cautious?
When there is storm flood damage in your Long Beach property, it is vital to be cautious to avoid injury or infection. Water conducts electricity and can cause electrocution hazards in your property. Therefore, switch off the main power supply to your property. Also, minimize movements in the flooded area since the water may have hidden hazards like broken window glass, nails, sticks, and broken electronics. If you must move from one point to another, wear waterproof boots.
How can you handle contamination caused by sewage?
Floodwater can contain sewage because it increases pressure on sewage systems, which could cause sewage back-ups. If sewage is visible in your home, our decontamination service can involve:
- Extracting as much water as possible
- Thoroughly cleaning debris or other solid contaminants
- Taking measures to dry the contaminated areas
- Applying disinfectants to kill microbes
Our technicians have access to advanced equipment and tools that help us conduct the drying process effectively—floodwater tags along with debris and dirt of various sizes. Therefore, we use equipment that can pass water together with the waste.
When dealing with contaminated water, it is usually impossible to restore carpets. Our technicians can remove your carpet and padding. SERVPRO technicians can use a knee kicker, power stretcher, razor knife or duckbill knife, and stair tool to remove the carpet and padding.
Why does my property feel cold and damp?
Even after the extraction of excess water, moisture is still high in the air. We can use multiple axial air movers to drive in dry, hot air from outside and replace the affected area's moist air. The machine extracts moisture even in the hard to reach areas. The air movers deliver lower pressure at higher volume giving them the ability to cover a wide area of affected materials.
It is vital to take immediate action after a flooding incident to save as much property as possible. Contact SERVPRO of Long Beach / Oceanside at (516) 536-1801 to get your property to its preloss condition. We’re Faster to Any Size Disaster.
More about Long Beach.
How Can We Continue Serving Customers in Oceanside As We Restore Water Damage?
Water damage and casinos are a bad mix. Make sure to contact SERVPRO if your casino is facing such a situation.
SERVPRO Can Help Perform Water Damage Restoration at Your Oceanside Casino with Minimal Inconvenience to Your Customers
Since people visit casinos to hang out or for their regular fix of the gaming thrill, closure of your facility can leave many disappointed. Water intrusions might lead to short-term closure or leave damages that ruin the reputation of your Oceanside Casino if not appropriately managed.
What solutions minimize inconveniences for business operations?
The effort put into commercial water damage restoration in Oceanside properties depends on the loss extent. For mild water spills, extraction, and drying of wet areas, is all it takes. For extreme losses, elaborate procedures, including demolition of parts of the property, might be necessary. For a business to remain operational, a couple of steps can help:
- Setting up containments to limit the spread of damages
- Placement of safety signs on risky areas including slick surfaces
- Expediting the restoration process
Moisture migration or soiling of unaffected areas by people as they move around can amplify the loss unnecessarily, so it is crucial to strike a balance between locking people out and allowing full access. Some restoration processes, such as cleaning, can also damage items like gaming tables. Physical barriers, especially the 6-mil plastic sheets our SERVPRO technicians use to contain the wet areas help limit the spread of materials or accidental damage to contents during restoration.
What challenges can impede restoration?
Security concerns in some sections of the casino, such as the gaming rooms, can impede the restoration of water damage without closing down because of the need to monitor players constantly. Solutions such as setting up barriers to allow partial access cannot work. However, our SERVPRO technicians can expedite cleaning and drying to finish restoration faster. We accomplish that by using sophisticated equipment such as:
- Truck-mounted water extractors
- Desiccant dehumidifiers for drying
- Self-propelled deep water extractors for carpeted areas
Restoration of water damage should balance between immediate and future needs. Call SERVPRO of Long Beach / Oceanside at (516) 536-1801 to help resolve an incident at your facility.
Click here for more information about Oceanside.
How Do Content Management Technicians Protect My Belongings After a Fire?
SERVPRO Provides Oceanside Property Owners with Fire Loss Cleanup and Restoration--Even Pack-Out Services
Our restoration professionals can clean and restore damaged items on-site and in our Oceanside SERVPRO facility
Many actions must get taken to recover an Oceanside home after a fire loss incident, but our SERVPRO professionals have gotten trained to provide a fast and confident response. Fire & Smoke Restoration Technicians (FSRT) accredited through the Institute of Inspection, Cleaning and Restoration Certification (IICRC) can provide a wide range of corrective actions as soon as we arrive at a fire-damaged property.
Recovering fire damage in Oceanside homes and businesses can mean several different individual tasks. While homeowners might consider the most vital efforts to be approached like fire debris removal and clearing harmful soot from surfaces, it is equally important to consider what can and should happen to the contents of your home. Protecting your belongings involves careful assessments and choosing the ideal restoration approach based on affected materials, the damaged area, and the personnel involved.
What Items Require Restoration and Recovery?
A thorough inspection and assessment can determine whether or not specific contents within your home require more concentrated cleaning and restoration. In many situations, outer lying personal belongings in less affected areas of the residence can be relocated elsewhere on the property to prevent damages. There are some specific conditions following fire losses that can require on-site restoration or more direct off-site recovery solutions at our SERVPRO facility. Some of these conditions include:
- Residue/Soot Damage – Residues from wet smoke or soot can adhere to the surfaces of your belongings and become a threatening presence. With the acidic composition of soot, prolonged exposure can stain or destroy surfaces beneath the residue without prompt action.
- Odor Damages – Smoke odors can penetrate multiple areas of the damaged house after a fire loss. They can also become embedded and trapped in fabrics, textiles, carpeting, and specific contents of your home.
- Water Damage – Extinguishment is a valuable phase during a fire emergency, but it can leave many areas of the house contending with water damage. Saturated personal belongings require advanced drying efforts to return to their original conditions.
Can You Help Protect Damaged Belongings?
Before our professionals arrive, depending on the potential hazards in the property, it is possible to relocate some of your possessions to safer areas of the house. If environmental or structural hazards exist, it is not advisable for you or other members of your family to remain on the property. Most fire recovery situations require our experienced professionals to don complete personal protective equipment from Tyvek coverall suits and gloves to respirators and boots.
What On-Site Recovery Options Exist?
It is always the objective of our technicians to restore your possessions on-site. We can appreciate how unnerving and overwhelming it can be to entrust your belongings to our team for off-site restoration, so we work to limit the number of items that meet these criteria when possible. Several direct strategies can prevent your belongings from being relocated by our pack-out procedure, including the following:
- Surface Cleaning – Light soiling can often be wiped clean with our potent cleaning products. Assessments into the thickness and severity of residues and soiling must happen to ensure that smearing and staining do not occur.
- Deodorization – Smoke and burning odors are not uncommon for the belongings in your house after a fire. With multiple restoration tools, including thermal foggers and hydroxyl generators, we can work to neutralize and eliminate these foul odors in the environment and the affected items.
- Drying – Because water damage can be a common threatening condition for your possessions after a fire loss, drying these belongings on-site can save time and money on more direct restoration efforts at our SERVPRO facility.
Is Pack-Out the Best Approach for Content Restoration?
While it is not always the most sought-out approach in our restoration arsenal, pack-out focuses on the efforts necessary to overcome substantial losses to the contents in your home. With soot and odor threats, especially, there are advantages to the advanced stationary tools and areas of our warehouse for fire-damaged items. Some of the benefits of off-site recovery include:
- Ultrasonic Tank (Soot Cleaning)
- Ozone Chamber (Odor Removal)
- Safe, Climate-Controlled Storage
Fire losses can be widespread threats in your property, which can quickly impact many of the belongings and possessions throughout the house. With experienced content management professionals, we can offer both on-site and off-site restoration solutions to help. Give our SERVPRO of Long Beach / Oceanside team a call 24/7 at (516) 536-1801.
How Can Kitchen Sink Pipe Leaks Affect My Home?
We know the steps to get your Oceanside kitchen back from water damage.
Restoration Pros Perform Rapid Response Water Removal for Oceanside Homes
The kitchen is a particularly vulnerable area for home water damage, even in drier locales like Oceanside. Plumbing leaks and appliance mishaps alone can cause damage in hard-to-reach areas like wall cavities, cabinetry, and behind appliances like dishwashers and refrigerators.
SERVPRO performs water removal services for your Oceanside kitchen that are compliant with restoration industry benchmarks and SERVPRO’s best practices. Technicians receive a comprehensive education in the Institute of Inspection Cleaning and Restoration Certification (IICRC)'s standards to ensure that home mitigation and restoration are done to code.
How Kitchen Sink Leaks Cause Structural Damage
- Wood rot in the under-sink cabinets. Contrary to popular belief, wood rots not from moisture exposure, but from fungal growth that thrives on eating wood, many of which lie dormant in the wood itself.
- Warping, cupping, and buckling wood. While wood naturally expands and contracts from moisture exposure, absorbing unusually high amounts of water causes wood to deform and lose its structural integrity over time. Check if the sink cabinet’s surface is noticeably bowed or uneven.
- An ideal environment for mold growth. Mold thrives in dark, damp areas of the home like underneath sinks. The sugars and proteins in wood also provide plenty of organic material for fungi to eat.
SERVPRO Sanitizes and Dries Water-Damaged Cabinetry
SERVPRO technicians prepare cabinets for drying with a variety of tools and techniques:
- The toe-kick may be removed to drill holes into cabinetry for ventilation.
- Portable extraction tools, in tandem with moisture measurement tools, help restore your cabinets to appropriate moisture levels for drying.
- Centrifugal air movers and dehumidifiers work together to dry wood to its appropriate moisture content.
SERVPRO of Long Beach / Oceanside is only a phone call away from rendering service that is Faster to Any Size Disaster when you call (516) 536-1801.
See more about Oceanside
My Floors Sustained Damage in A Fire, How Do I Fix Them?
SERVPRO can help you through every step of your Oceanside fire damage.
SERVPRO Uses a Variety of Techniques, Equipment, and Products to Repair Your Oceanside Floors
Fires can cause damage throughout your Oceanside home. Unfortunately, damage often appears from the ceiling to the floors after a fire. Smoke residue manages to work its way into even the smallest nooks and crannies. Recovering after a fire can be complicated, requiring multiple restorations and deodorization methods.
Will I Have to Rip Out My Floors?
SERVPRO Technicians Make Every Attempt to Fix Your Flooring After a Fire
Dealing with fire damage throughout your Oceanside home can be completely overwhelming, especially when it is widespread. Restoration after a fire is multifaceted in that you need to remove and clean smoke residue, deodorize, and repair structural damage. Your flooring may be one of the last things that you notice if there is more widespread damage. If you have vinyl or wood flooring, smoke residue can settle into the porous surfaces and become almost impossible to remove through vacuuming, scrubbing, or other conventional methods. Our technicians may use rotary floor machines to strip damaged finish or deep clean carpets.
How Do Rotary Floor Machines Work?
- Brushes and drive blocks attached to the bottom of the machine agitate the flooring to clean the surface.
- The strong movement of the brushes strips the flooring, removing any stubborn residue.
- If cleaning carpet, there is a solution tank to aid in ease of cleaning carpets.
- When needed, they apply the solution, release the solution, and move the roto machine in circles to work it into the carpet.
Since there are different types of residue depending on the kind of smoke created by specific burning substances, various methods are employed to best clean and bring the home back to preloss status. In addition to cleaning your flooring, technicians use deodorization methods such as fogging to eliminate the evidence of a fire.
For assistance, contact SERVPRO of Long Beach / Oceanside 24/7 at (516) 536-1801.
To find out more about Oceanside, click here.
Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned – a defensive cleaning program
Our defensive cleaning program gives your business a way forward by providing your employees and customers ongoing safety and assuredness.
Let us help you get back to business
As our communities re-open in Oceanside, we’re all moving back toward a new kind of normal. The expectations of visitors, customers, and employees who come into our establishments have evolved, and staying safe and well is a top concern. The global COVID-19 pandemic has changed what it means to be clean, and we’ve developed a program to help your business meet the new higher standard of clean that is now expected.
Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned is a defensive cleaning program we’re offering to businesses and commercial locations to address the current COVID-19 pandemic. This proactive viral pathogen cleaning program goes well beyond janitorial or carpet cleaning. By choosing Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned, you, your employees, your customers, and your community can rest assured that you’ve selected a higher cleaning standard – you are Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned.
Extensive training and specialized products
As the #1 choice in cleanup and restoration*, we stand on more than 50 years of experience and expertise to help your business become Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned. Beyond fire & water, SERVPRO professionals are trained and experienced in biohazard decontamination and chemical spills – always adhering to the cleaning and decontamination standards set by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and local authorities.
From formulating and creating our proprietary cleaning products, like SERVPROXIDE, at our headquarters in Gallatin, TN, to taking the utmost care while disinfecting, we will ensure you and your business are set up to inspire consumer confidence as the economy continues to reopen.
3 C’s – Consult, Clean, and Certify
When the stakes are this high, you want a partner who has developed an industry leading, proprietary training program, cleaning solutions, and remediation processes over decades. We’ve cleaned up some of the most challenging biohazards imaginable. Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned reflects our unique experiences and capabilities. The program is grounded with our unique 3 C’s: Consult, Clean, and Certify.
- Consult – Every business is different, which is why you’ll be assigned a Cleaning Protocol Consultant who understands your business and will create a cleaning program to meet your specific needs. This program will be developed based on your business type, size of space, amount of high frequency touchpoints, foot traffic and congestion points.
- Clean – Based on your specific business needs, your location will undergo a thorough, deep clean, using exclusive cleaning products, according to protocols set forth by the CDC. Our employees have years of experience, and we will go beyond the scope of work that regular janitorial staff perform. Cleanup procedures generally include cleaning of porous and non-porous surfaces, disinfecting of non-porous surfaces, cleaning and disinfecting of equipment, tools, and/or supplies used for cleanup process, and disposal of hazardous materials. In the event of a suspected or confirmed COVID-19 event, we will be there cleaning within 24 hours to ensure you get back to business as quickly as possible.
- Certify - Once your business location has been Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned, you will gain access to proprietary signage, digital emblems, and other collateral that communicates that you’ve selected a higher standard of clean available to help protect your employees and customers. And because we add the day, month, and year to that proprietary stamp of clean, your guests will know that not only did you choose Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned, but that your location is being cleaned regularly at this standard.
Call today for a Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned consultation
We’re Here to Help – 24 hours a day, seven days a week – until life is back to normal in the communities we all call home.
Call SERVPRO of Long Beach / Oceanside today at (516) 536-1801 for your Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned consultation.
* #1 Choice in cleanup & restoration based Commercial Attitude & Usage Tracking study. Polling 816 commercial business decision makers on first choice for future needs related to cleanup & restoration work. Study conducted by C&R Research: October 2019
Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned means professionally trained SERVPRO franchises perform the requested cleaning, sanitizing and disinfection services according to proprietary SERVPRO protocols and recognized industry and CDC standards with EPA approved cleaning products to deliver a SERVPRO certified cleaning experience. Each SERVPRO franchise is independently owned and operated.
Can Water Intrusion or Flooding in Oceanside Lead to Microbial Growth?
SERVPRO is available 24/7 to handle your water loss events.
Water Incidents in Oceanside can provide the Conditions for Uncontrolled Growth of Bacteria, Viruses, and Mold
Oceanside properties are at a high risk of water intrusion and should seek professional assistance to limit secondary harm.
What are the leading causes of water intrusion for beachfront properties?
Homeowners may frequently require professional water removal services here in Oceanside. Proximity to the sea can increase the chances of groundwater eruption, saltwater intrusion, and floods. Sometimes these situations are linked to weather conditions like heavy rainfall, which can raise the groundwater level. Groundwater levels can also heighten when water from the sea enters the bay, a phenomenon known as a saltwater intrusion.
How can I tell if my home is victim to groundwater intrusion?
Groundwater travels in aquifers beneath the ground. These aquifers can overflow, which causes water to rise through the soil and reach the surface level. When water tables reach a certain height, they can begin to affect your property, starting in the foundations, moving up through crawlspaces, and, eventually, moving up through floors on the ground level. Controlling this type of water intrusion can be challenging because systematic methods, such as blocking entranceways, is less effective. In many cases, drains are unable to transport water away from the street or property because they, too, are overflowing. We offer water restoration technicians to oceanside residents that require emergency draining of the property as well as the transportation and disposal of large amounts of groundwater.
What makes groundwater flooding different from other types of water intrusion?
- Water rises from the ground, rather than from rainfall or a water source like a burst dam
- Groundwater brings silts, debris, and muds into the home, so we classify it as a blackwater emergency
- Crawlspaces, foundations and subterranean areas of the house are the most affected by groundwater flooding
- It can be challenging to drain properties in areas where aquifers are overflowing as they can limit the effectiveness of sewer and plumbing systems
- There can be significant water migration into cavities and subfloors which are tough to dry out due to restricted accessibility for equipment
What professional services should I look for to restore groundwater intrusion?
When waters in Oceanside rise from the ground, they can cause significant harm in the structural cavities of your property. Particular areas of concern can be the subfloor, which is usually constructed of wood or concrete and can be adversely affected by water exposure leading to mold, warping or cupping of frames and jointing. Our roster of technicians at SERVPRO includes applied structural drying technicians (ASD) who are experts at finding and removing moisture from hard to reach areas. ASD technicians have an essential skillset for dealing with water intrusion.
How do I dry out the cavities of my home after water intrusion?
Your home is full of cavities that ventilate, structure, and store materials like sheetrock. These areas of the house can suffer significantly with water intrusion, which can lead to mold growth, rotting, and structural harm. There are physical barriers to restoring cavities as well, like drywall. Our technicians can perform a controlled demolition to remove obstacles and gain access to structural cavities temporarily. We can then circulate warm air into these areas to dry them thoroughly and reduce the chances of mold growth.
How can I find out if there is water migration into cavities?
- You can place moisture sensors onto the wall's surface, which measures the temperature and provides an accurate reading water levels behind the wall.
- You can probe the subfloor of your home by using a moisture meter. You can also use moisture meters to assess the water content of materials
- Boroscopes provide exact information on cavity conditions. However, they do require some invasive procedures. Drill small holes into the wall to feed the boroscope behind drywall.
- Hire thermal imaging cameras to assess larger areas of the wall without having to remove drywall
- Remove small sections of drywall or carpet pads to perform a visual inspection of the cavity. Removal of physical barriers can aid in the drying process
Can you drywall cavities without demolishing drywall or remove flooring?
Some equipment like injectidry systems is less invasive when drying wall cavities. SERVPRO technicians drill small holes beneath the baseboard of the home. They can then attach injector nozzles to the wall and circulate warm air into the cavity. Floors can benefit from placing drying mats onto the floor. This equipment covers a larger surface area and uses a centrifugal vacuum to draw moisture out of the subfloor without removing it.
Water intrusion in your property can cause water migration into wall cavities. Without proper restoration, these cavities can become hotbeds for microbial activity, commonly leading to mold growth. By enlisting ASD technicians, you can ensure that these hard to reach areas receive appropriate drying treatment and limit the secondary losses to your home.
For specialist cavity drying technicians, contact SERVPRO of Long Beach / Oceanside at (516) 536-1801.
What Should I Do After a Flood Hits My Oceanside Home?
Flood damage can put you and your family in a very stressful situation. Contact SERVPRO to remediate the damage.
Have SERVPRO Professionals Provide Emergency Scoping and Mitigation Services
Long Island is a fabulous place to live with the advantage of being close to NYC. Still, sometimes, due to the proximity to the Atlantic Ocean, residents encounter flooding brought on by storms and high tides. After Hurricane Sandy in the fall of 2012, Long Island dealt with a massive cleanup. Having gone through it once, most residents understand the importance of a plan and professional assistance.
Should I Try to Clean the Silt and Debris Before the Professionals Arrive?
No, it is best to have professionals come to assist in the entire restoration process after flood damage to your Oceanside home for insurance documentation and your safety. Our SERVPRO IICRC (Institute of Inspection, Cleaning and Restoration Certification) technicians have your well-being and safety in mind while also being available 24/7 for an emergency. They also have the required training and knowledge, allowing them to best deal with the damage in your home.
What are Technicians Looking for When They Assess the Damage?
- Contamination: Is water contaminated? If so, is there a health risk?
- Restoration vs. Replacement: Which is the best route to take? If an
- Can part of the structure be pressure-washed to clean?
- How do we mitigate further damage?
- How to dry impacted materials and belongings?
How Do Technicians Know What to Dry?
- They use moisture detection equipment to detect water throughout the home.
- They check surfaces; if it is porous, it may sustain more damage since more water soaks in, whereas if a durable vapor barrier was in place, the surface might not be as wet.
- They inspect the HVAC system to see if they need to remove any excess moisture.
After a natural disaster such as a flood, you as the homeowner is most likely in a state of shock. By allowing our professionals to scope the damage and communicate with your insurance company, you are taking a massive burden off your shoulders. Contact SERVPRO of Long Beach / Oceanside at (516) 536-1801. We're Faster To Any Size Disaster.
Learn more about Oceanside here.
Why Seek Professional Help to Secure Your Water Damaged Home?
SERVPRO provides industrial-grade drying equipment to mitigate water damage in Oceanside homes.
Experienced Water Damage Specialists for Oceanside Homes Mitigate Damage and Reduce Costs
It can be a considerable challenge for Oceanside homes to return to normal after a substantial water loss incident. Migrating water effects can penetrate porous materials and alter their molecular structure, warping and distorting flooring, wallboard, and trims. At the initial signs of water loss emergencies, many homeowners benefit from putting their trust in our SERVPRO team for our fast response, sophisticated approaches, and state-of-the-art equipment.
Why is speed so crucial for mitigation?
While we can say that We’re Faster To Any Size Disaster, water damage in Oceanside homes needs more than a fast response. Quickly arriving at a project site is only a small portion of what makes our reputable team a reliable choice for the damage in your house. Our extensive training to obtain Water Restoration (WRT) accreditation through the Institute of Inspection, Cleaning and Restoration Certification (IICRC) is a process that nearly our entire field staff undertakes. In this way, we have skilled technicians available 24/7 to help.
How much does Experience matter?
Apart from our fast response during an emergency, customers look to our SERVPRO team to provide experience and confidence in the face of overwhelming circumstances. With years of hands-on training helping hundreds of homes and businesses through destructive water loss scenarios, we continue to command the damaged area by establishing drying zones, deploying our equipment, and managing on-site personnel to maximize mitigation.
Water loss incidents get restored using premier equipment in our inventory. When we arrive at a damaged address, we can utilize any of dozens of devices and machines that all have a specific role in drying out compromised materials. Our READY trailers stay stocked with water mitigation tools, including:
• Axial and centrifugal air movers
• Desiccant and refrigerant dehumidifiers
• Surface moisture meters and thermal imagery cameras
• Submersible pumps and wet vacuums
Water losses are among the most common callout that our SERVPRO of Long Beach / Oceanside team responds to, so staying prepared for these emergencies can help us to continue to be a fast-responding and confident team amid a disaster. Contact us anytime at (516) 536-1801.
Why Does My Oceanside Home Smell So Bad After the Fire?
SERVPRO Enters as the Firemen Leave to Start the Cleanup and Recovery for a Home in Oceanside
Our SERVPRO Team Can Help to Clean and Deodorize Your Damaged Home After a Fire Loss.
It is often not hard to understand that when there is a fire, many compromising effects can damage your Oceanside home. While structural concerns remain one of your top priorities, other conditions can get addressed during the mitigation phase. Our SERVPRO team has extensive experience and the use of sophisticated tools and potent deodorization products to maximize our efficiency in the recovery of your property.
Many people do not consider odors to be the most pressing fire damage in Oceanside homes, but it can be more of a challenge than you might want to believe. Combustion and burning during a fire can often generate smoke and other odors that could be difficult to overcome without industrial-grade deodorization products and delivery systems. Even with our experienced restoration technicians, we have multiple tools and devices that cater to specific situations, parts of your home, and affected materials. Every burning material can generate its foul odor for our technicians to need to overcome when we arrive, including:
What Should Happen Immediately to Reduce Odors?
There are steps that you can take right away to help reduce the severity of odors in your homes after a fire, but many of these are not solutions that the average homeowner can provide on their own. Instead, many people have trusted the experience and fast response of our SERVPRO team to help. By arriving quickly to your emergency, we can focus our efforts on specific tasks that can lessen the severity of harsh odors that we encounter when we get there. Some of these initial actions might include:
Debris Removal - By using shovels and other methods of discarding our mitigation technicians and in-house contractors can work to remove charred remnants of structural elements and compromised contents. This action can reduce the concentration of both harsh odors and soot threats.
Soot Surface Cleaning - Cleaning surfaces that could be affected by soot is also one of the ways that we could reduce potential harsh odors present in your home. Also, this action can help to provide a safer environment for responding personnel.
Controlled Demolition - Our in-house contractors can perform material removal based on structural damage attributed to the fire and migrating effects. Damaged structural elements can be a concentrated point for odors.
Ventilation - circulating air can help to reduce the immediate severity of odor concerns but might not do much to neutralize smoke scents lingering behind.
What Special Equipment Gets Used to Neutralize Odors?
Much of our success and the deodorization of a fire-damaged home gets attributed to the right tool getting used at the right time. When removing odors, our technicians must carefully decide which of our capable machines and devices is best suited for the current loss effects to maximize our productiveness. Some of our options include:
Thermal Foggers / Vaporizers
Air Scrubbers with HEPA Filtration
The choice in what devices get used over other options is a determination of our project manager and crew chief scoping the work to get done in the property before mitigation begins. The choices can get narrowed based on the types of materials affected, the size of the damaged area, and if occupants from the house are still living inside.
Can Odors Go Away on Their Own?
After almost every loss incident from destructive floods to housefires, homeowners believe that some degree of damage will naturally correct itself. When it comes to odors, the production and the severity of harsh scents can mislead property owners to a belief that these effects are waning. In gaseous states, smoke odors can penetrate porous materials and become trapped when these pores shrink after temperatures return to normal after fires get extinguished.
Because odors do not go away on their own, our SERVPRO team needs to implement the right deodorization practices that affect both the open air and trapped odors in structural elements like wood framing, drywall, and ceiling materials. Powerful tools to accomplish trapped odor neutralization are the thermal foggers in our inventory. By heating deodorization compounds to a vapor, it can penetrate porous materials to eliminate odors on contact. Even when residual odors have been neutralized, as indicated by data-driven evidence, phantosmia can still mislead occupants into sensing that malodors remain.
While multiple damaging effects can result from housefires, often odors are among the least concerning of these for customers. In truth, this can be one of the most challenging hurdles to overcome in the recovery of your home. Give our SERVPRO of Long Beach / Oceanside team call today at (516) 536-1801.