How Can Kitchen Sink Pipe Leaks Affect My Home?
Restoration Pros Perform Rapid Response Water Removal for Oceanside Homes
The kitchen is a particularly vulnerable area for home water damage, even in drier locales like Oceanside. Plumbing leaks and appliance mishaps alone can cause damage in hard-to-reach areas like wall cavities, cabinetry, and behind appliances like dishwashers and refrigerators.
SERVPRO performs water removal services for your Oceanside kitchen that are compliant with restoration industry benchmarks and SERVPRO’s best practices. Technicians receive a comprehensive education in the Institute of Inspection Cleaning and Restoration Certification (IICRC)'s standards to ensure that home mitigation and restoration are done to code.
How Kitchen Sink Leaks Cause Structural Damage
- Wood rot in the under-sink cabinets. Contrary to popular belief, wood rots not from moisture exposure, but from fungal growth that thrives on eating wood, many of which lie dormant in the wood itself.
- Warping, cupping, and buckling wood. While wood naturally expands and contracts from moisture exposure, absorbing unusually high amounts of water causes wood to deform and lose its structural integrity over time. Check if the sink cabinet’s surface is noticeably bowed or uneven.
- An ideal environment for mold growth. Mold thrives in dark, damp areas of the home like underneath sinks. The sugars and proteins in wood also provide plenty of organic material for fungi to eat.
SERVPRO Sanitizes and Dries Water-Damaged Cabinetry
SERVPRO technicians prepare cabinets for drying with a variety of tools and techniques:
- The toe-kick may be removed to drill holes into cabinetry for ventilation.
- Portable extraction tools, in tandem with moisture measurement tools, help restore your cabinets to appropriate moisture levels for drying.
- Centrifugal air movers and dehumidifiers work together to dry wood to its appropriate moisture content.
SERVPRO of Long Beach / Oceanside is only a phone call away from rendering service that is Faster to Any Size Disaster when you call (516) 536-1801.
See more about Oceanside