What Should I Do After a Flood Hits My Oceanside Home?
Have SERVPRO Professionals Provide Emergency Scoping and Mitigation Services
Long Island is a fabulous place to live with the advantage of being close to NYC. Still, sometimes, due to the proximity to the Atlantic Ocean, residents encounter flooding brought on by storms and high tides. After Hurricane Sandy in the fall of 2012, Long Island dealt with a massive cleanup. Having gone through it once, most residents understand the importance of a plan and professional assistance.
Should I Try to Clean the Silt and Debris Before the Professionals Arrive?
No, it is best to have professionals come to assist in the entire restoration process after flood damage to your Oceanside home for insurance documentation and your safety. Our SERVPRO IICRC (Institute of Inspection, Cleaning and Restoration Certification) technicians have your well-being and safety in mind while also being available 24/7 for an emergency. They also have the required training and knowledge, allowing them to best deal with the damage in your home.
What are Technicians Looking for When They Assess the Damage?
- Contamination: Is water contaminated? If so, is there a health risk?
- Restoration vs. Replacement: Which is the best route to take? If an
- Can part of the structure be pressure-washed to clean?
- How do we mitigate further damage?
- How to dry impacted materials and belongings?
How Do Technicians Know What to Dry?
- They use moisture detection equipment to detect water throughout the home.
- They check surfaces; if it is porous, it may sustain more damage since more water soaks in, whereas if a durable vapor barrier was in place, the surface might not be as wet.
- They inspect the HVAC system to see if they need to remove any excess moisture.
After a natural disaster such as a flood, you as the homeowner is most likely in a state of shock. By allowing our professionals to scope the damage and communicate with your insurance company, you are taking a massive burden off your shoulders. Contact SERVPRO of Long Beach / Oceanside at (516) 536-1801. We're Faster To Any Size Disaster.
Learn more about Oceanside here.