Have a Fire Prevention Plan in your Long Beach/Oceanside Home
The purpose of having a fire prevention plan is to prevent a fire from occurring in your home. Here are some great tips from http://home.nyc.gov/html/fdny/pdf/rcny/rcny_fire_safety_plan_2_emerg_info_sect.pdf on basic fire prevention.
- Your home should be equipped with a smoke detector and you should periodically check them to make sure that they work. Replace batteries in the spring and fall when you move your clocks forward and back.
- Carelessly handed of discarded cigarettes are the leading cause of fire deaths. Never smoke in bed or when you are drowsy and be especially careful when you are smoking on a sofa. Be sure to extinguish every cigarette in an ashtray that is deep and wont tip over.
- Matched and lighters can be deadly in the hands of children. Store them out of reach.
- Do not leave cooking unattended. Keep your stove top clean and free of items that can catch on fire. Before your go to bed, check your kitchen to ensure that your oven is off and an coffee or teapot is unplugged.
- Never overload electrical outlets. Replace any electric cord that is cracked or frayed. Never run extension cords under rugs.
- Prepare an emergency escape route with members of your household. Choose a meeting place within safe distance of your home where you should all meet in case you get separated during a fire.
- Exercise care in the use and placement of fresh cut decorative greens, such as Christmas trees and holiday wreaths. If possible, keep then planted or in water. Keep decorative greens away from any flames, including fire places. Do not keep for extended periods of time, as they dry, decorative greens become more easily combustible.
If all else fails and your home is affected by fire damage be sure to contact SERVPRO of Long Beach/Oceanside at 516-536-1801