New Year-New Disaster Plan!
As the new year approaches it's always a good idea to update your Weather Emergency Plans! Here are some great tips from health.ny.gov to Prepare for Extreme Weather: Food, water and Supplies Checklist https://www.health.ny.gov/environmental/emergency/flood/docs/checklists.pdf:
- Keep a food supply that will feed your household for 3-7 days. Having a reserve can relieve inconvenience and uncertainty until the storm passes or power is restored.
- Buy easy-to-store and easy-to-prepare foods. Choose foods that don't need to be refrigerated and require little or no preparation or cooking
- Plan to prepare familiar foods to lift morale and give your family a feeling of security in times of stress
- Stock up on easy prepared food such as: ready-to-eat packaged/canned food, protein or fruit bars, dry cereal or granola, peanut butter, dried fruit, crackers, canned juice, nonperishable milk such as low-fat evaporated, canned, boxed or dry milk, baby formula, pet food.
- Keep enough NYS-certified bottled water to last you and your family 3-7 days. This means having 2 gallons per person per day. Bottled water is the best choice for drinking & preparing food in the case that your water is contaminated.
- Basic supplies such as: Battery-powered or hand crank radio, flashlights, battery-powered portable cell phone charger, extra batteries, candles, oil lamps, matches, lights, cash, whistle (to signal for help), fuel, fire extinguisher.
- Health & Hygiene supplies such as: First Aid Kit, Prescription/Non-Prescription Medications, Toilet paper, tissues, hand sanitizer, toothbrush, toothpaste, denture needs, contact lenses and supplies, extra eyeglasses, baby supplies (diapers, wipes).
- Cleaning Supplies, such as: Dust Mask, Rubber Gloves, Broom/Dustpan, Mops, Buckets, Rags, Paper Towels & Heavy duty garbage bags.
When a disaster strikes we here at SERVPRO of Long Beach/Oceanside know how devastating it can be for you and your family. Contact us immediately for all of your storm emergency needs at 516-536-1801