Keep your Long Beach/Oceanside Home Safe During the Holiday Season
While holiday decorating is all about adding fun, sparkle and warmth to a very special season, it is very important to remember that many of our favorite decorations carry the risk of electrical injuries or fires if not used properly.
Here are some tips on how to keep your home/self safe when setting up lights/decorations:
Before you put them up make sure to inspect all lights, electric decorations and extension cor
ds for signs of damage to wire insulation, plugs and bulbs. If cords and plugs are damaged, discard and replace the decorations.
If you are planning on decorating outside, make sure to use lights and decorations that are rated for outdoor use. Putting indoor-only products outside in the weather can result in electric shocks and fire hazards
- When hanging Christmas lights outdoors, reduce your risk of electric shock by passing up on metal ladders in favor for wood or fiberglass-reinforced plastic.
Always unplug lights before changing bulbs, replacing fuses or making any other repairs
- If you need to replace a bulb in a string of Christmas lights, make sure that the wattage rating of the replacement bulb you’re using matches that of the light strand. Using a bulb with too high a wattage can cause the light string to overheat which creates a big fire risk.
- DO NOT overload extension cords.
- Make sure wires are not warm to the touch.
- ALWAYS turn off all the lights & decorations before going to bed or leaving the house.
If your home has been affected by fire damage this holiday season be sure to contact SERVPRO or Long Beach/Oceanside at 516-536-1801