Winter Weather Quickly Approaching Long Beach/Oceanside!
As many of us native New Yorkers know, NY winters can often bring extreme cold, ice, sleet, heavy snow and freezing rain. It is extremely important to be prepared for these upcoming winter months!
Here are some tips from NYC Emergency Management on how to prepare for upcoming winter weather:
- Install storm shutters on doors and windows; clean out gutters; repair any roof leaks
- Insulate walls and attic. Caulk and weather-strip doors and windows. Install storm windows, or cover windows with plastic from the inside.
- Have safe emergency heating equipment available. For residences with functioning fireplaces, keep an ample supply of wood. Utilize portable electric space heaters. Keep a fire extinguisher in hand.
- Install and check batteries in smoke and carbon monoxide detectors.
- Make sure you have sufficient heating fuel; you may have difficulty obtaining fuel in the immediate aftermath of a bad storm.
- Service snow removal equipment, and have rock salt on hand to melt ice on walkways.
- Let Faucets drip a little to help prevent freezing pipes
- Test smoke and carbon monoxide detectors
- Make a household disaster plan- Make sure all members of your household are familiar with how to contact one another in an emergency.
- You should ALWAYS have an emergency supply kit & should be fully stocked to allow you to sustain yourself in the case you lose power.
If your home has been affected by water or fire during these winter months contact SERVPRO of Long Beach/Oceanside and we will be onsite immediately to re-mediate any damages!