Plan Ahead! Tips on How to Make a Fire Escape Plan for your LONG BEACH/OCEANSIDE home
If a fire breaks out in your home, you may only have a few minutes to get out safely. Everyone in your family needs to know what to do and where to go if there is a fire.
Here are some easy Escape Planning tips provided by the NFPA (National Fire Protection Association).
- MAKE a home escape plan. Draw a map of your home showing all doors and windows. Discuss the plan with everyone in your home.
- KNOW at least two ways out of every room, if possible. Make sure all doors and windows leading outside open easily.
- HAVE an outside meeting place (like a tree, light pole or mailbox) a safe distance from the home where everyone should meet.
- PRACTICE your home fire drill at night and during the day with everyone in your home, twice a year.
- PRACTICE using different ways out.
- TEACH your children how to escape on their own in case you can’t help them.
- CLOSE doors behind you as you leave.
- If the smoke alarm sounds GET OUT AND STAY OUT. Never go back inside.
- If you have to escape through smoke, GET LOW AND GO under the smoke to your way out.
- CALL the fire department from outside your home
If a fire does occur in your home be sure to call SERVPRO of Long Beach/Oceanside at 516-536-1801 after the fire is out and we will make it “Like it never happened.”