The Timeline of Water Damage
It’s that time of year again for frozen bursting water pipes to cause flood and water emergencies. In our previous posts we’ve explained how to prevent a water damage from occurring, but in this post we’ll be explaining the water damage timeline. The water damage timeline shows how damage progresses with a water loss, and how waiting just a few days to act can greatly affect the amount of damage that occurs to your home.
Water Damage Timeline
Initial water damage
- Depending on where the damage occurred the water will spread directly to whatever is in its path
- Water is absorbed directly into sheetrock for the walls and ceiling. The carpeting, or even hardwood floors can have water seeping beneath it, and personal belongings are anywhere from slightly wet to soaked
- Furniture finishes may bleed, causing permanent staining on carpets.
Hours 1 - 24:
- Drywall begins to swell and break down.
- Metal surfaces begin to tarnish.
- Furniture begins to crack or bend (depending on furniture) and a musty odor starts to come out of furniture
- A musty odor appears.
- Coloring from cloth and paper goods spread and stain any surfaces that surround them
48 Hours to 1 Week:
- Mold and mildew are growing and spreading by this point
- Furniture warps and shows signs of mold.
- Paint begins to blister.
- Anything Wood such as floors, tables, cabinets are swelling and warping.
- Doors, windows, and studs swell and warp meaning they will now need to be replaced.
- Metal begins to rust and corrode.
More Than 1 Week:
- At this point a problem that could have been strictly sucking water out of carpets, or cutting away wet drywall is now far greater. Any moldy items and wet items will need to be replaced and are likely too far gone to restore
- Structural safety, mold growth, and biohazard contaminants pose serious risks to occupants.
About SERVPRO of Long Beach/Oceanside
SERVPRO of Long Beach/Oceanside are fully trained and certified in the cleanup and restoration of residential and commercial properties after fire, smoke or water damage. We are a 24/7 service that takes calls whenever your emergency occurs. From initial and ongoing training at SERVPRO’s corporate training facility to regular IICRC-industry certification, rest assured our staff is equipped with the knowledge to restore your property.